For today’s edition of #mondayfoodporn, I thought I’d share a recipe that’s become a firm favourite of mine, and that I prepare on a weekly basis. It’s a no-cook sauce, that takes less time to make than it takes to boil the pasta – my favourite kind of recipe! Don’t let the bright green goop put you off – it’s a recipe that packs a punch both in terms of flavour and nutrients!
If my memory serves me correctly, I first saw this recipe on a Facebook post by Alice’s Beauty Madness – I love her posts, and she posts pics of the yummiest healthy recipes!
- One avocado
- Two good handfuls of raw spinach
- Two-three cloves of garlic (optional)
- Good olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
I wing the amounts usually and make as much as I feel we need, so this serves 2-3 minimum, even 4 if you stretch the sauce a bit further.
- Prepare a pot for pasta as usual.
- If you’re adding the garlic, pop it in the oven with the skin on in an empty dish at about 180C.
- Once the water boils and the pasta has been thrown in, put the spinach and peeled & pitted avocado into a blender. Add generous amounts of olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Blend till smooth. If needed, add some of the pasta water to make the blending process more easy.
- Just before the pasta is ready, take the garlic out of the oven, pop it out of its peel and into the blender, blend till smooth.
- Drain the pasta, and mix with the sauce.
That’s it! Your simple sauce is ready, in less time than it takes to cook the pasta!
This spinach and avocado pesto has won a permanent place in my rotation of quick and easy recipes. I love that you can make it in just a few minutes – I get more impatient waiting for the pasta to boil! It’s also full of nutrients and yummy greens – win!